Bowls Alberta promotes the sport of bowls for young bowlers and encourages their development through activities specifically geared for them. For further information on our Youth Programs contact a club in your area. You can also visit the Youth Lawn Bowls Promo Page and connect with a club by filling out the request form.
Lawn bowls is a sport that:
- You can have fun with friends
- Allows you to compete Provincially/Nationally and even travel
- Has skills that are transferable to other sports
- Is non-contact and encourages respectful competition
- Can be played through most of your life
- Runs mid-May to the end of September
Ages for Youth
- Under 12 – focused on fun through games and skill activities
- 12 – 17 – combined focus on fun through games and skill activities as well as more options for competitions
- 18 – 25 – social aspect and competitive aspects available
For those youth who curl or alley bowl, lawn bowls is a great sport to compliment these activities and keep you active between seasons. Curling and lawn bowling share the same basic strategies therefore allowing you to improve your game all year round. Bring your whole alley bowling team or curling team down and give it a try together!
Youth bowlers are invited to contact a local club and go out to try some bowls. All you need to begin is a friend or two and some flat soled shoes. Click here to find a club today. To play socially, the commitment is up to the individual, often weekly times are offered but generally there is no need to show up every week if you are just a social player
For competitive players, Alberta holds a Youth Provincial Tournament each year (with the exception of 2020) and the winners of the event can be eligible for financial support to attend the Canadian Youth Championships. These are divided into Junior Boys (under 18), Junior Girls (under 18), Boys Under 25 and Girls Under 25. There are also opportunities to be on the Alberta Squad which is part of the pathway for our youth who dream of someday representing Canada on the international stage.
For teachers and Guide/Scout leaders you can contact your local club and ask about a field trip to the bowling club where volunteers would help show your students the basics and get everyone involved in some fun activities and games.
Important link for Teachers, parents and youth: